Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Finally, work on the actual form of the boat has begun!!!!








Since my last post I have covered the mold with plastic preventing it and the hull from becoming permanently attached. Then the side panels were stapled in place. Throughout the entire process staples are used temporarily to hold the panels and strips of wood in place while the glue dries. Then the stem piece was glued in place. This is a 4" wide wedge of wood running from the keel to the sheer (where the deck and the hull come together). this gives the bow some good strength. Once that was in my friend Ian came over and helped me start stripping the hull. This turns out to be a pretty easy job as the strips fall nicely in place. Where they meet at the bow was a bit tough, but not too bad. Though I don't have photos of it I have removed the staples and have started planning the hull to smooth it out. The next few steps in this project is to finish smoothing and fairing (making sure there are no hollows or humps) the hull, wrap it with a layer of 4 ounce fiberglass, pull it off the mold and set it into the holding jig where I will put in all of the internal structure.

No comments: